Powered by Our Energy, Wel Networks, and supported by the three local solar providers iGenerate, Integrity Solar and Stendy Electrical Raglan Local Energy provides an easy way for the community to buy, sell and gift clean, local energy.
We have examples of $1000 per year savings on power bills by switching to Raglan Local Energy.
So What is it?
What is Raglan Local Energy? We decided to ask others what it means to them…For us, Raglan Local Energy is about making waves in the energy space by changing the way Raglan (and, in turn, many other communities around Aotearoa NZ) think about power. It's a new, innovative and community-centric approach helping to create a better, fairer, cleaner and more local energy future. We're creating a local energy market, making it possible for community members to buy, sell and gift locally generated electricity.As Greta says, “We can’t save the world by playing by the rules, because the rules have to change.” Our vision is that Raglan Local Energy provides a platform for starting to change the rules around how we use electricity in our communities.Special thanks to Niall Darwin, Ricky Edmonds from Integrity Solar Ltd. and Bryn Little from WEL Networks for helping to create this video and sharing our vision.
Posted by Raglan Local Energy on Wednesday, 11 December 2019
How does it Work?
Raglan Local Energy customers who have solar installed may produce more power than they consume. This “excess” power can be shared with the community and sold back to the grid to be purchased by other customers at cheaper rates. For each 48 half-hour period every day, the total amount of power generated across all customers will be compared to the total consumption and the overlapping proportion will be the matched amount. I.e. if 100kWh of power is consumed between 1pm and 1.30pm and 25kWh (25% of the consumed power) is generated during that period, then every customer will pay the matched tariff for 25% and the unmatched tariff for the remaining 75% of their power for that half-hour period. During the night when no solar power is being generated, all power will be sourced from the national grid at unmatched tariffs.
Each day is divided into peak, shoulder and off-peak periods and each period has different matched and unmatched tariffs (detailed in the pricing below). The weekly invoice will therefore be a combination of matched and unmatched tariffs across these periods, with credits for power generated and debits for power consumed.
The picture depicts how ‘matched’ and ‘unmatched’ power is calculated.
So is it working?
Since joining Raglan Local Energy Damon from iGenerate has been monitoring bills and seeing the savings. You can see the solar system online here. Ten Panels with enphase micro inverters.
Prior to joining Raglan local energy, the power bill was $8.56 per day and that was with solar. Since joining Raglan Local Energy power bill is now $5.62 per day. Thats $1073 more in the pocket per year.
Want to know more?
Contact Damon in Raglan on 027 511 00 55 or firstname.lastname@example.org